Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Week 4, Thing 9

When MERLIN attacks:
When I was searching for feeds, I simply used the search box at the top of the page, which would usually kick back websites, and not necessarily feeds. This was confusing, especially when I would try to subscribe to the feed and there wasn't one. The websites with feed links would occasionally work. I learned that like in CARL, you must be very specific when you search, because when I went to subscribe to MERLIN, I searched it using the search box, and websites that took me to the MERLIN page were there, but not necessarily the "subscribe to this feed" hyperlink were there, so I had to search it like the 23 things website said.
When subscribing to feeds, I did it the hard way and individually selected feeds. I should have subscribed to some that were already grouped by Bloglines in interest areas like "knitting" beacuse that would have been easier than hand selecting for a broad topic. MERLIN's subscribe link on the homepage just gave me HTML code, so I had to search for it again and link with it through Bloglines, which was not much fun. I still wish I could post my Bloglines roll... but I have yet to figure it out.

Overall, it wasn't too painful, and I'm glad I subscribed to the blogs that I did.

On a side note: I really like that we are blogging... I enjoy receiving comments from other staff member and leaving comments because it gives me, as a part-timer who has never been to staff day, or really to another branch, for that matter a chance to interact with other BCPL staffers. It's fun.

2 comments:

EJ said...

Library Lunatic--
Go to Yahoo and create an avatar. I tried Meez and I had problems in getting it to work. I'm not sure if my Java is doing what it should. I was just in Yahoo and everything worked out fine.

ruth's post said...

I have tagged you for the 8 little known things about me. Check me out at