Monday, June 18, 2007

Week 2, Things 2-4: Lifelong Learning

So far, as you can see I believe I have accomplished things 1-4. Whenever I think of Thing__, it reminds me of Dr. Seuss, Thing 1 and Thing 2, etc. etc.

On a more serious note... I listened/watched the 7 and 1/2 Habits of Lifelong Learners and immediately began to think... this sounds like a "self-help" book, which was funny to me. It also made me think of my current education in college where I am being told that learning is abstract and immeasurable in regards to assessment and in the writing of objectives in the classroom setting. (If you are a teacher, or training to be, you know what I mean).
However... lifelong learning is a critical skill and I firmly believe in it.
As for the powerpoint, I think the hardest of the 7 and 1/2 habits, is Habit 2... "Accept Responsibility for your own Learning" because I often have these great goals and deadlines in my head, but then I never follow through. For example, I have less than one month to learn how to play the guitar. I even bought sale books from work on learning how to play the guitar!

The easiest thing for me, as you can tell from the previous paragraph, I would say Habit 5, "Create your own Learning Toolbox." I can go out and shop with the best of them, and am more than capable of going out and buying the necessary supplies to complete "my goals." I am a fan of accessories of all kinds, that is why I am a knitter and crafter... because there are plenty of accessories. Even when it comes to clothing... handbags are my true weakness, which are considered accessories.

I look forward to hopefully completing this program, and it will hopefully make me more tech savvy, and I can use words like "wikis" and "flickr" in everyday conversations.

No comments: