Saturday, August 4, 2007

Week 7, Thing 16

I heart Wikis! Wikipedia has come to my rescue several times this past semester when creating portfolios for my Biology Class, as well as for general knowledge when I hear someone mention something unfamiliar... Wikipedia is my new Google. I am aware that it is run by people for people so there is a margin of error to be taken in with a grain of salt, but overall, it's user friendly and I like the fact that I can also contribute to the topic if I choose to.

After reading the articles...

I learned that:

  • Wiki means "quick" in Hawaiian. http://meredith.wolfwater.com/cil06/
  • Everyone can contribute to the wiki entry
  • Information on practically everything can be found
  • Wikis are not always 100% factual

BCPL could use them for:

  • Subject guides
  • Annotated Catalog upgrade, making our online catalog like Amazon with pictures and more information besides author, publisher, copyright date, etc. This would make it easier for customers that recall a book by cover instead of author*
  • Community Information which would be handy for visiting patrons and staff when they would like to know... "Where can I get lunch?"
  • Clearing space off of our shelves and file cabinets for staff manuals, procedures, book club sign-ups, Reader's Advisory, etc. Everyone could have their say about certain things, like programs and Book Recommendations, or even display lists with title ideas.

Overall, I thought the Wiki readings were very informative and handy and I can better appreciate Wikipedia now.

* even though covers are prone to updates and changes.

No comments: